Thursday, January 29, 2009

First Leg Done!

Oh my lovely readers! I have missed you! Or perhaps I have simply missed the internet connection that leads to you . . . or some of both.;)

I am back from the first leg of my pre-publication tour and it was . . . is there a word better than marvelous? Stupendous maybe? Glorious! Electricying! Stellar! Pick a word; they all apply.:)

This week I hit Los Angeles and Denver. Oh, they were so awesome! Each dinner had about ten people there who were all bookstore workers or librarians. (And in LA there was a teen reader! That was so cool!!) Basically we all sat around for four hours talking about books and enjoying excellent food. It just doesn't get much better than that!

And I signed ARCs! I actually signed my books! That was quite surreal. Of course, it's a bit surreal that strangers are even reading my book at all. I mean, my family and friends HAVE to. But these people? They read it on their own AND came to a dinner to talk to me about it! The ultimate compliment, IMO.

We talked a lot about the Newbery's and, since Neil Gaiman is published by my house, the Harper reps in attendance were particularly excited! It's an honor for the publisher as well as the author when a book is selected for such a prestigious award, and I will count myself in good company just to be included in the stable of authors at his house.:)

Books that were also talked about heavily at both dinners: Savvy, by Ingrid Law, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (you just say the words "Hunger Games" and everyone at the table bursts into chatter!), Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer, and Blueberries for Sal, which everyone lamented going out of print.:(

Books that were heavily recommended to me: Death By Bikini and Death by Latte, Gossip Girls (if you believe it!), Arrival (a wordless graphic novel!), and Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, which is apparently selling like popcorn in the south.

Things that I learned: if anyone hands you a bottle of water, take it! There were bottles of water in all of my car rides and they were a lifesaver. I knew that flying made you dehydrated, but I've never flown this much in so few days so I'd never experienced it. Water=good.:) My hair always takes ten minutes longer to do than I think it will. I will plan accordingly next week.:D Just hold still when the car stops. If you and the driver are both trying to open the door, you run into each other. (I feel a little strange always having someone open my car door. Fun! but a little weird.)

I am SO stoked to go to New York next week! I went for three days last summer and found my true love. I am anxious to go back! I am also anxious to see my editor and agent and to meet my publicist! The team behind the book is truly what makes a book shine and I love, love, LOVE my team!!!

Till then, I have tons to do. My pages arrived on Tuesday and rather than 1000 pages, there are 1371 pages. Whew! There will be much signing and when I get home (I am sitting in the Denver Airport at the moment . . . BEST airport I have ever flown from!!!!) there will be pictures.:)

Ciao!!

14 comments:

trinathegranny said...

wow, can't wait to see and hear. did you order the food you thought you were going to? do you have pictures of your hair? Wow, driven in a car. whas the driver curious about you? Such a celebrity. *big sigh* wow again.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm so glad you had so much fun! I'll have to check out some of their recommendations...

Can't wait to see you and get all the details!

:)Kara

cindy said...

what fun! aprilynne, there's a foto of our books at ALA on my blog. =D

Anonymous said...

That sounds so exciting, are you going to have any pictures from your experience.

Erin said...

This is why everyone wants to be an author. That sounds like so much fun! Thanks for the book suggestions- I've been going through a dry spell for new books.

Aqui Wolfe said...

On tour!!! I'm so proud of you! *wipes away tear*

Gerb said...

Aprilynne, congrats on a successful pre-pub tour! I was tickled to see my books show up in your post. : )

Could you email me? I'd like to ask you something. Thanks!

gerb @ lindagerber . com

woman who roars said...

Sounds so exciting! Does if feel surreal?

Saundra Mitchell said...

Welcome home! You have been missed, and now I can't wait to hear all your stories in person!!!!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

so exciting to finally see your books in person (or in book?) :0) have fun in NY

Mary said...

Love reading about how much fun you're having. Now I wish I worked in the Childrens dept and/or on your book since you're coming to NY! Well, can't have everything. Have so much more fun meeting people and yes, do drink lots of water. :)

Nancy said...

April, I am so glad to have found your blog. It is with great fondness that I recall the days in Hat Creek. I remember how you liked to lay back with your head on the rump of the horse as we rode along. Congratulations on your book. I am excited to read it when I can finally get my hands on it. Beautiful cover. We're still next door in Springville.

Kari Pike said...

I am so excited for you, Aprilynne! I wish we were already up there! Then I could watch the kids and see your happy face as soon as you got back! Glad you're having fun! You have earned it. hugs~

Adrienne said...

Sounds awesome! And I so agree with you about the Denver airport, it's lovely!